Visiting Scholars Program

CBE's research staff has ongoing collaborations with students, faculty, and professionals from around the world who collaborate on our research.

Program Overview

We accept visiting scholars at any level, including graduate students (master's or PhD), university faculty, and building industry professionals. The application process is very competitive, and your statements are a critical part of the evaluation process, as it is essential that there is a relationship between your interests and the research being conducted at CBE. Visiting scholars must have some prior research experience, technical and writing skills, and familiarity with CBE's research topics.

View current visiting scholar bios>>

Administrative Details

Priority will be given to people willing to stay at least 12 months, but we will also consider visiting scholars for shorter periods. Visiting scholars will be required to pay University fees (details about that cost can be found here). Our research center will pay this fee; however, upon your arrival you will need to reimburse us. Most likely your visa will be a "J-1" visa. To qualify for a visa you should show that you will have available at least $1600 per month for each month of your visit. For more information please see this website from the U.S. State Department. You will also have to pay a fee of approximately $600 to UC Berkeley's Department of Visiting Scholars and Postdoc Affairs.

Candidates must be able to demonstrate fluency in spoken and written English. We do not typically provide financial support for visiting scholars.

How to Apply

To be considered for a visiting scholar appointment please provide the following information:

  • Your CV with information on education, research experience, papers published and technical skills (e.g., software that you know well.)
  • A one page description of the research that you would like to do at CBE.
  • The period of time you would like to stay at CBE (and how much flexibility you have). It takes roughly 3-4 months to get a visa after approval by CBE.
  • Verify that you are financially independent during your stay. If you are funded by an institutional source (e.g., a university, grant, or company) please let us know.
  • Let us know if you will need a computer or if you are going to use your own laptop.

Please send these materials to Professor Edward Arens ( and use “CBE Visiting Scholar Program” in the email subject.

CBE staff and building science student lunch.

Graduate students and assistants assembling lab equipment.