Building occupants in perimeter zones are affected by outdoor influences such as noise, temperature, and solar radiation, and by their ability to control these influences. CBE is developing tools and criteria for evaluating facade performance in terms of occupant comfort and energy efficiency. We have also conducted extensive field studies to determine how operable windows and control of building features affect occupant comfort.
Building Envelope Research Topics
CBE projects related to building envelope systems include:
- High-Performance Facade Case Studies
Lessons learned from North American and European case studies.
- Facade and Perimeter Zone Performance Field Study
Evaluating the effect of facade design on occupant comfort and perception.
- Evaluating Facade Performance in Terms of Occupant Comfort
Creating new industry standards for window manufacturers, designers, and specifiers.
- Integrated Facade Symposium
We sponsored a full-day symposium to advance interaction between European and North American design professionals and researchers.
- Mixed-Mode Building Research
Investigating various topics related to mixed-mode buildings.
- Adaptive Comfort Model
Do occupants have the same thermal preferences in naturally ventilated as sealed buildings?
- Case Study Research of Mixed-Mode Office Buildings
Studying the effectiveness of strategies which combine natural ventilation with conventional HVAC strategies.
- Operable Windows, Personal Control, and Thermal Comfort
Building occupants with control of operable windows are comfortable in a wider range of conditions than prescribed by existing standards.
- Occupant Satisfaction in Mixed-Mode Buildings
Comparing occupant satisfaction with indoor environmental quality of mixed-mode and sealed buildings.
- Low Energy Cooling in California
Evaluating which California climates are most appropriate for radiant cooling mixed-mode strategies.
- Occupant Control of Windows: Accounting for Human Behavior
Examining models of how people use windows.
- Operable Window Signaling Systems
Studying "red / green" light systems: how they are programmed and how occupants respond.
- Methods for Assessing Comfort in Mixed-Mode Buildings
Proposing standardized protocols for assessing comfort in buildings with mixed-mode ventilation and personal comfort systems.